With conference season over, we're now only six weeks away from Theresa May approaching Parliament with a fully-formed deal backed by the EU. I think I speak for everyone when I say "yeah, right!"
Time goes marching on (sorry), and we're only two weeks away from the People's Vote March for the Future! We'll be there to spread the word on how the NHS will be damaged by Brexit, and we want to see as many of you there as possible. We'll have our own section, with an NHS Against Brexit banner and plenty of placards. To make our presence really felt, please turn up in your scrubs if you have them!
NHS & Brexit News
- A business owner specialising in the supply of medical products tells NHS Against Brexit why he's fearing for his business in a post-Brexit world. Read why he says Brexit "has the potential to be catastrophic" on our website.
- Director of the Wellcome Trust, Jeremy Farrar, writes in the Observer about how a no-deal Brexit will affect medical research in the UK, saying that "progress is made because the UK, for a generation, has been an attractive place to collaborate and invest in science, nearly always across borders."
- EU nurses in Oxfordshire have left en masse as a result of Brexit, leaving hospitals in the county with a huge staffing shortage.
- A drug trial for repairing tissue after a heart attack has been halted amid Brexit fears, as research firm Recardio cited uncertainty over medicine approval post-Brexit for stopping the trial.
- NHS Against Brexit is growing! Dan Seamarks has joined our team as Engagement Officer, helping to spread the campaign up and down the UK. If you're interested in becoming a media spokesperson for NHS Against Brexit, email him at email@example.com for more information.
Picture of the Week
This Brtexitometer from Leeds shows just how many people agree that Brexit will be damaging for the NHS. Also check out the bottom line to see how many people want a People's Vote on the final deal!
Tweet of the Week
This tweet from the Deputy Political Editor of the Guardian says it all - our Brexit Secretary is denying the key points made by his own governmental department...
For all the latest NHS & Brexit news when it happens, follow us on Twitter here.
Stat of the Week
The UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency has been cut out EU contracts to regulate drug approval, seven months earlier than planned. This means a huge slam to their budget and a massive loss to the UK pharmaceutical industry.
From our Other Campaigns
- The People's Vote Action Day was hugely successful last Saturday, with over 100 street stalls and 1000 door-knocking sessions across the UK. Check out the #PeoplesVote hashtag on Twitter for more photos from the day.
- Tory MP Anna Soubry has backed a People's Vote, saying that no responsible government would impose a no-deal Brexit on the UK. Watch her full argument here.
- Our sister campaign, Scientists for EU, is growing! We've nearly hit the £15k target we need to employ a new member of staff to the team, but we need your help to get there. Please give if you can by clicking the link below!
That's all for this week! Remember to sign up for the march if you haven't done so already - and come say hi to the NHS Against Brexit team on 20th October!
NHS Against Brexit